OPEN: Journal of Arts & Letters
Annual Jackpot Art Prize
O:JA&L and its imprint BUTTONHOOK PRESS are accepting submissions of visual art for the Annual O:JA&L Art Prize.
Entry fee: $25 (Payable through Submittable)
(Grand Champion) Blue Ribbon cash prize: 50% of Entry fees
(Reserve Grand Champion) Red Ribbon cash prize: 20% of entry fees
(Champion) White Ribbon cash prize: 10% of entry fees
Contest Guidelines, Fees, and Conditions:
· Artists must enter online.
· Submissions must be made by or before 11:59 pm EST on August 31, 2020.
· The entry fee for all submissions is $25.00 USD per digital file. Digital files may contain only one image.
· Entry fees may be paid through Submittable.
· Entry fees are not refundable.
· There is no limit to the number of entries an artist may submit. The entry fee of $25.00 USD is required for each image.
· All properly prepared entries will be viewed and judged.
· Employees of O:JA&L and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
· All entrants will individually receive through Submittable either a notice of acceptance for publication or a message declining publication.
· All accepted submissions are considered Quarter Finalists.
· Long-list semi-finalists will be named and notified by December 10.
· Short-list finalists will be named and notified by December 30.
· The winners will be announced by January 15 and premiums will be paid through PayPal by January 20.
· The decisions of the screeners and the judge are final.
· Submissions may come from both professional and emerging artists, illustrators, and graphic designers from anywhere in the world.*
· Submissions are open to photography, painting, drawing, mixed media, and digital art.
· Submissions should be original with the submitter, unpublished, and not available to an image search on the internet.
· Submissions should not be under consideration elsewhere.
· Submissions will be screened initially by O:JA&L editors.
· All accepted images will be published in O:JA&L
· Compositions based on published material or other artists’ works are NOT considered original and are not eligible.
· Paintings or other images executed in a workshop or classroom setting under another artist’s supervision are eligible, provided such information is provided upon entry.
· All entries must be submitted as digital files through our Submissions Manager.
Image requirements for entries: Submit JPG files. Entrants should keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading. The file as attached by the entrant is exactly as it will appear to the evaluators.
Artists should include a cover letter that provides a professional biography in third person of up to 50 words. Links to commercial sites where this art is available for purchase are welcome.
Artists should specify the image title, series (if any), size, and completion date. Images selected for publication must be provided to O:JA&L as a .jpg that can be reproduced at 1,650 pixels wide.
Entry fees from the O:JA&L Art Prize support the annual cash prizes and O:JA&L’s pamphlet series. O:JA&L reserves the right to reject immediately work that the screeners and the judge regard as unsuitable for publication or work that does not meet the published submissions guidelines or criteria.
Expedited evaluation of your submission is available for an optional fee.
Category opens January 1. Category closes December 1.
*Due to SEC/DHS restrictions O:JA&L is unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.