O:JA&L and BUTTONHOOK PRESS are accepting submissions of visual art from which to select a cover image for the November 2019 BP limited edition print/PDF chapbook. Showcase your talent by entering this exciting competition, brought to you by OPEN: Journal of Arts & Letters, LLC.
What to Submit:
The first O:JA&L Competition seeks individual interpretations of the featured text (see “Chapbook Contents” below) expressed through a single image or a composite design.
Featured Text: The feature text for the art contest consists collectively of work by O:JA&L’s Pushcart nominees for 2019. Chapbook contents are to be named.
How to Submit
Contest Guidelines and Conditions:
· Artists must enter online.
· Entries must be submitted by or before 11:59 pm EST on August 1, 2019.
· The entry fee for all contest submissions is $20.00 USD.
· Entry fees may be paid through Submittable.
· Entry fees are not refundable.
· Submissions may come from both professional and emerging artists, illustrators, and graphic designers from anywhere in the world.*
· Submissions are open to photography, painting, drawing, mixed media, and digital art.
· To be eligible for the contest, all works must be original.
o Compositions based on published material or other artists’ work are NOT considered original and are not eligible.
o Paintings or other images executed in a workshop or classroom setting under another artist’s supervision are eligible, provided such information is provided upon entry.
o Work previously published at the time of submission to this contest is not eligible.
· All entries must be submitted as digital files through our Submissions Manager.
· Digital files may contain only one image.
· There is no limit to the number of entries an artist may submit. The entry fee of $20.00 USD is required for each submission.
o Image requirements for entries 1: JPG files (Entrants should keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading). The viewing screen & thumbnail which submitters will see during the entry process is for general reference only and does not reflect the image quality that will be viewed by screeners and judge. The file as attached by the entrant is exactly as it will appear to the evaluators.
o Image requirements for entries 2: Every entrant should be prepared to be able to send a high-resolution print-quality replacement file should tthe entry be selected as the winner. For publication as O:JA&L’s print cover image, these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches (ideally) and 5×7 inches at minimum.
· Submissions will be screened by O:JA&L staff and the winner will be named by O:JA&L’s Art Director.
· All valid submissions are eligible for publication in O:JA&L
· Deadline for entry is August 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST.
o 10 finalists will be named and notified by August 31, 2018.
o The winner will be announced by September 15, 2018.
o All entrants will individually receive through Submittable either a notice of acceptance for publication or a message declining publication.
o All properly prepared entries will be viewed and judged.
o The decisions of the screeners and the judge are final.
· All proceeds from the Art Competition are used to promote our chapbook series.
· Employees of O:JA&L and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
· Simultaneous submissions are accepted, provided this contest is immediately notified of acceptance/publication of the image elsewhere.
· O:JA&L reserves the right to reject work that the screeners and the judge regard as unsuitable for publication or work that does not meet the published submissions guidelines or criteria.
*Due to SEC restrictions O:JA&L is unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.